Tuesday, March 17, 2009

RE: Busted Before I Begin?

I'm primarily going to address some basic principles that help guide me through my bracket; in particular, these are how I choose the toss up games. I think they seem a little arbitrary, because they're designed to be an objective (although they're not-so-secretly not), overarching canon of toss up games.
1. If its between a BCS conference team and a non-BCS conference team, go with the BCS team. I'm a big advocate of discriminating against non-BCS conferences. Sorry Butler. I think level of competition is one of the biggest determinants of big game experience.
2. In March, dominant forwards trump dominant guards. This is a pretty well accepted rule, and the national championship team will have to have both, but this can be useful in the early rounds.
3. Don't overestimate recent trends in a team's performance. I think performance averages out over the course of the season, and looking at any snapshot of a team can be extremely misleading. That's why I look at Wake, and think a 4 seed is a perfect seed for them. They've got great wins, and some pretty bad loses. Gonzaga is a team that I think was seeded too highly because of their recent tear, and I don't see it carrying them into the Elite Eight.
4. I never like to choose a game based on location. I simply won't do it. If I can't choose my favorite with the above three criteria, I'll choose the team with the hotter cheerleaders. Thanks, TMQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment